Overseer system

Moderator: Littlabit

Jhereg
Whee!

Overseer system

Post by Jhereg »

New overseer system started today, and you can get to it through the menu or typing /overseer.

I failed the first mission on 2 account but my 3rd got through a few.

I didn't pay super close attention but:
- If you fail the first mission it seems like a 36 hour lockout.
- rewards for the first few missions are new agents and quest types
- I got to the point where you could have 5 missions running at once, only ran 3 though and have to wait a while to check on results(I think it was 36 hours also but not sure)
- some of the missions have multiple agent slots, meaning you send a spy, a warrior type and a diplomat type all at once on it. Picking the right mission types and spreading your agents across correctly I think means you can do more missions simultaneously

Anyone who understands it better please correct the above, I already had a headache and it didn't make it better.
Littlabit
Meanie

Re: Overseer system

Post by Littlabit »

Yep that pretty much sums it up!
Littlabit D'might 115 Cleric
GL of Celestial Navigators (Mushroom follower)
"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Caladain
Whee!

Post by Caladain »

Each of the missions has different chose-able rewards based on the mission type. Could be a collection item, TS materials, small regular xp, merc xp, a new currency, etc. There’s a vendor in PoK that sells items for this currency. Has Rez tokens, UUUs and some other things.
tanthia
Whee!

Post by tanthia »

The 36 hour lockout seems to be per deploy able follower. Like if you fail they get injured and can't be used for 36 hours. There seems to be a % chance that happens per mission run. From what I could tell there are missions ranging from 12hr - 36hr the EXP gain seems to be ~.28% - .9% per mission. The 12 hour missions were less while the longer were higher.
Its a nice bonus if you want to keep up your exp without grinding for hours, but isn't a lot to level alts with. 3-5% every couple days depending on how on the ball you are with it.

There seems to be a rarity involved with the missions and followers. Common, Uncommon, and Rare maybe more? I am guessing as you do more and get better followers and clear out missions we will get better missions with hopefully better rewards. Would be nice to get some better bonus xp for alts.
Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Post by Goofydoofy »

Sounds like they chose this route instead of updating the Hot Zone stuff. Maybe testing some shit for a different game.
Level 115 Druid, Level 115 Enchanter, Level 115 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Jhereg
Whee!

Post by Jhereg »

Maybe, but the first feelings I felt was that it reminded me of the card game from years ago. I wonder if it was a pet project of the developer from back then.
Rashod
Whee!

Post by Rashod »

Jhereg wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 am
Maybe, but the first feelings I felt was that it reminded me of the card game from years ago. I wonder if it was a pet project of the developer from back then.
They are certainly using some of the card game assets, they've already confirmed some of the graphics are from that old material.
Jhereg
Whee!

Post by Jhereg »

Ah, it's nice to know that wasn't all in my head :)
Goofydoofy

Post by Goofydoofy »

I was going to make a joke, but then I remembered I'd probably get attacked for attacking someone.
Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

The coin is tradeable, sadly the omm missions still need to be done to unlock the items. But this should be a priority for any druid or shaman that doesnt have a rez stick. I'll gladly donate currency to anyone working toward finishing the brews required .
Goofydoofy

Post by Goofydoofy »

I've wanted a rez stick for years. I might even start raiding Saturday nights now that I have my own place. Hell, maybe I'll even get drunk!
Fnord
Whee!

Post by Fnord »

Goofydoofy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:31 pm
Sounds like they chose this route instead of updating the Hot Zone stuff. Maybe testing some shit for a different game.
They also implemented this in EQ2. I think they probably got together and coded to a common interface in order to deliver the same feature to both games. Smart thing to do with limited resources.
Tarvas
Whee!

Post by Tarvas »

Upcoming Overseer Changes
dreamweaver, post: 3880984, member: 446680 wrote:We eagerly launched the Overseer feature last week, and the response has been incredible. It’s an ambitious project for us of a scale we haven’t done in quite some time and because we were so eager to get this feature in your hands, there have been some unexpected issues that require changes and fixes. We wanted to review the upcoming changes and explain what they mean and why we are making them.

We also wanted to take this opportunity to offer our apologies that so many changes are needed right after launching this feature, but we feel they are necessary to protect the integrity of not just the Overseer system but EQ itself.

But, before we launch into an explanation of why we turned off the Finish Early button and what changes you can expect in the upcoming patch, we wanted to be clear that we will be refunding a portion of the DBC spent on immediate quest completion through the system due to a bug.

Also, as a thank you for your patience and all the reports that helped us track and tackle Overseer issues, we will be granting an Overseer pack to all accounts that have logged in within the past month on servers that can use Overseer. The pack grants and refunds will be happening after this patch as we need to work out all the logistics, but we expect all affected accounts to see them in about 3-5 weeks.

Now, let’s dive in.

Quest Success had a bug

It was a pretty big bug. A miscalculation in the way we determined if a quest should critically succeed resulted in a notable drop in its overall success chance. We are sorry for that, and we will be fixing it this week. The good news is that this fix will also result in the chances of critical success on all quests increasing by a significant factor.

Temporarily removing the ability to purchase immediate quest completion

Due to the issue with quest success, we felt it was best to temporarily remove the ability to spend Daybreak Cash to complete quests. We will enable the ability to purchase instant completion when the bug is fixed and, as mentioned above, will be refunding a portion the DBC spent on immediate quest completion

Reward Changes

Unfortunately, we made several miscalculations with what and how much was offered. We believe it is important that this system is supplemental to gameplay and that it does not replace it. Some of the rewards offered were either too easily attained or greatly devalued items that are granted through gameplay. To repair that we will be making the following changes:

Overseer merchant price changes

We will be increasing the Tetradrachm cost of most items on the merchant (as a side note from Absor, “I also want to apologize for the name of those coins...” as a side note from Ngreth, “I'm not.”). The most notable change will be a significant increase in the price of McKenzie's Brews to align with their actual value. These are the new Tetradrachm prices for the items sold:

•The unique clockwork armor pieces: 70,000
•The unique clockwork robe: 175,000
•Spitegems: 87,500
•Crystallized Luck: 35,000
•Essences: 4,375
•McKenzie's Special Brew: 26,250
•Token of Resurrection: 43,750
•Urthron's Ulitimate Unattuner: 175,000

Tetradrachm will no longer be tradeable

Frankly, these were never meant to be tradeable. The intent was that rewards be earned by using the Overseer system, not by purchasing or trading for those rewards. Please take a moment to move your existing Tetradrachm to the character/account that you wish them to be on before the update this week.

Lowering the number of collectible items rewarded

We will be reducing the number of collectible items obtained on success. Because you can choose specifically what item you receive, introducing these items into the economy too rapidly will reduce the value of the rarest collectible items. So now collectible rewards will almost always only give you only one item. Also, you will usually not be guaranteed to get that item. The new rewards will offer you two options: either some number of Tetradrachm, or fewer Tetradrachm and a percentage chance to also gain a collectible of your choice. As a pretend example: succeeding on a Quest might offer you 200 Tetradrachm OR 150 Tetradrachm and a 25% chance to get a collectible item of your choice.

Other reward restrictions

Because we want to maintain the value of doing current content when it is current, we will no longer be rewarding collection or tradeskill items from the current expansion as rewards. Items from older expansions will obviously still be available.

We are restricting the ability to obtain collectible and tradeskill items as rewards to Gold members only. Free accounts will be offered a Tetradrachm reward for successful quests rather than a collectible or tradeskill item. This is to prevent abuse of the free to play system to gather these items, especially with the potential of upcoming free Heroic Characters (shh... it's a poorly kept secret!). As mentioned above, we do not want to undervalue the effort of playing the game through Overseer, we want it to be a way to enhance gameplay.

We will likely be making other changes and improvements to the system in the future, so please keep offering us feedback (scrollbars would be nice). Your ideas are always welcome.

Again, we would like to apologize for the need to make such dramatic changes to a system that we only just launched, but we felt they were necessary to protect the integrity of EverQuest and the Overseer system itself.

- Dreamweaver, on behalf of the EverQuest Team
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

Basically ruuned :(
Mattmarr
Whee!

Post by Mattmarr »

Does this mean I can keep not investing time in understanding which thing I should be focusing on, or should I take some time to figure out what I should be doing with the Overseer?
Goofydoofy

Post by Goofydoofy »

I learned it in 30 seconds. Can't be that complicated.
Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

If you were going to use it to build up brews for the rez stick, its basically going to be shorter to do the damn missions lol. If the cost increases go thru as stated really the best thing to concentrate on would be merc xp or character xp. The trade skill item rewards are pretty basic and don't really include anything rare. The items you can purchase are going to take months to build up enough coin to purchase. And unless I misunderstand the new collection item dispenser, you wont be able to do tov items and there is going to be huge chance of getting nothing on completion but some more of the worthless coin. At this point they've not changed anything but who knows when or if it will happen. The post said this week, so i'm guessing Wednesday.
tanthia
Whee!

Post by tanthia »

•McKenzie's Special Brew: 26,250

Holy crap 170 -> 26250
~154x the cost. I'm not convinced they did ANY calculations. I can see them changing it to 1700 and pulling a "shit forgot the zero", but holy hell... OMM missions suck, but this doesn't make it much better.

Oh well, I got enough for a froglok mask I can't even buy yet lol
Jhereg
Whee!

Post by Jhereg »

After playing with it a while I've decided to do missions in this order:
- Recruitments
- Common Conversions
- Uncommon Conversions
- Rare Conversions
- Tradeskill/Gathering ones

Recruitment gives you the common agents, Common Conversion removes 3 common agents and gives you 1 Uncommon, Uncommon conversion removes 3 Uncommon and gives you 1 Rare agent. Then use those agents for tradeskills/gathering missions.

Any suggestions on other strategies instead?
Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

Im using it for xp , picking six hour missions when i can so i can double up completions. Can get over 2 percent real xp easily. I was not happy with the brew cost upscale but i didnt know as you level up the currency does scale up also.

If your not after anything in particular though, xp for doing nothing is still a nice outcome of overseer. So log in set up missions and reap the benefits.
Fnord
Whee!

Post by Fnord »

Yep, the xp adds up. Especially now that we're all stuck at home, its a bit easier to log in for 10 minutes and dispatch your agents. Probably made 20-25% of a level so far.
Goofydoofy

Post by Goofydoofy »

I'm not stuck at home. I have bills to pay. I'm not going homeless due of a minor flu virus. I planned on setting up tasks last night and helped somebody with tradeskills instead. I tried to do it this morning, but fell back asleep and slept about 15 hours total. All the moving and work finally caught up to me, I guess. Now, I'll try again in an hour and maybe even raid. Now time for a joke I made up at work yesterday that got a huge laugh. What business NEVER shuts down, no matter what? My drug dealer! Thank you. Thank you very much.