Insomnia and stuff that helped me sleep a bit longer

Moderator: Littlabit

Jhereg
Whee!

Insomnia and stuff that helped me sleep a bit longer

Post by Jhereg »

So, about 3 months or so ago I started taking some advice about dropping your core temp a bit and some other minor adjustments and my sleep has gotten better. I noticed a few people mention insomnia over the last couple weeks so thought I'd mention it.

I've occasionally had insomnia but mostly I consistently slept 5-7 hours. After experimenting with the stuff below its pretty much 7-8 hours each night. Exceptions are when I don't take my dog out to pee before bed and she wakes me early, and eternally damned delivery guys who get the address wrong.

Matthew Walker has a book out called Why we sleep. I'm not sure it's actually a good book, but deep in there's one part about if you drop your core temperature about 1 to 1.5 degrees (Celcius) it can help you get to sleep. Reading it would explain it more accurately than I can below.

There's a few mechanisms in the body that help or hurt that. One is how much of your blood is in your core and extremities. The core here references to your brain and chest. Your body withdraws blood from extremities if they are cold, flushes it out to the skin if the skin is warmed.

1) One basic method is to keep your hands and feet warm and remove covers over your chest.

2) A second method is to 'flush' your skin by making it fill with blood, a temporary warm heat like a hot shower or sauna does that. The blood comes from your core which drops your core temp. If you also follow that by stepping into somewhere a bit cooler you can cool some of that blood before it has a chance to retreat to your core. Obviously being in a hot shower/sauna for too long heats everything up, but you only need a brief exposure to get that red flush going.

3) Another is a cold drink, I personally drink a bunch of Brita's per day. It's always been a habit and I didn't figure out why I was so tired sometimes randomly in the afternoons until I saw this. I was literally dropping my core temperature with 1-2 liters of cold water (1/2 a gallon). That obviously doesn't help as advice if it makes you wake up to pee, but for naps it might be useful.

Btw, my sleep is a bit mixed up the last week or so. Not because of anything above, but because 3 times now I've tried to change to a day schedule after 20 years of nights while I'm laid off. Next day I'm messed up beyond belief so I'm just giving up on it.
Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Re: Insomnia and stuff that helped me sleep a bit longer

Post by Goofydoofy »

I have the a/c going all nice. And a floor fan to drown out noise. Same concept as a white noise machine.
Level 115 Druid, Level 115 Enchanter, Level 115 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Qmaus
Whee!

Post by Qmaus »

Seroquel FTW
Meso
Whee!

Post by Meso »

I used to have insomnia. Then I discovered Mary Jane
Meso
Whee!

Post by Meso »

Some drunk jerk amusingly tried to insult me by calling me a pothead because I made this comment.
This "pothead" has been gainfully employed for over 40 years, was making 80K when they closed our factory, own a house and raised a family.
Quite frankly I would prefer the company of a "pothead" over an obnoxious drunk any day.
Takes a lot of pickled brain cells to look down on someone else when your own house is not in order.
Anyhow, try CBD gummies. Good effects, doesn't get you stoned and legal most everywhere nowadays.
Jhereg
Whee!

Post by Jhereg »

I don't think Alcohol or weed are good for sleep, I read something about how they act as sedatives and you don't get the right levels of deep sleep. Keeping that in mind, any sleep >>>> no sleep.

But weirdly enough in the last week I'm sleeping even more than usual, lack of work(standing/moving) has left my blood pressure climbing so I'm tired and sleeping more than 8 hours a day. Going outside isn't desirable(by me, damn ball of evil in the sky) so I might buy a standing/adjustable desk.
Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

Neither are good for you.
Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Post by Goofydoofy »

Nothing is good for you. The water is poisoned. The air, ground, food and people are all bad. Do whatever makes you happy. You'll be dead before you know it.
Level 115 Druid, Level 115 Enchanter, Level 115 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server